Friday, April 16, 2010

Creamy Quinoa Asparagus Soup

Ok, this doesn't look as pretty as a smoothie but I assure you it is absolutely yummy! Mum has been asking me for asparagus. With her appetite low, a request like that will surely be fulfilled ;) So I came up with this creamy asparagus soup with quinoa flakes for added protein and iron. And yes, I said flakes!! I found organic quinoa flakes last week and what a great way to add this superfood more of our food. We use quinoa regularly in our diet but in the whole seeds form. Now with flakes I can throw them in creamy soups, cookies, bread, cupcakes, etc. I'm just giddy with thinking of how many ways I can use them in our food! 

What a find!

Creamy Quinoa Asparagus Soup Recipe
1 pack of fresh asparagus - snip off tops (about 3 inches) and chop up the stems
2-3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped (be generous if you can take the taste, garlic is so good for you)
1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
1 tbs grapeseed oil
3 cups of organic oat milk (you may substitute with low fat milk)
2-3 tbs of quinoa flakes
salt/pepper to taste

1 - Heat the grapeseed oil in a pot
2 - Throw in the garlic and onions. Saute till soft
3 - Add the asparagus stems, saute till tender. Add salt /pepper
4 - Pour in the milk then bring to a boil for 5 mins. 
5 - Turn off the heat, use hand blender to blend the hot soup in the pot.
6 - Put on the heat and add the asparagus tops and quinoa flakes. Turn off the heat when tops are tender and the quinoa flakes has thickened the soup. Enjoy your nutritious soup :)

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails